Here’s the recipe I’ve been using to bake a 2 pound loaf of bread once a week. It’s a great tasting bread especially when used to make toast in the morning, grilled cheese and panini sandwiches later in the day. I use an old Sunbeam, Model #5891.
Prep time: 10 Minutes.
1 cup bread flour
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of dry milk powder
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 cup water (make this as exact as possible)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons of olive oil. (You can use vegetable oil but the loaf won’t taste as good.)
1 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast (Highly recommend using a yeast specifically designed for bread machines.)
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup.
3. Pour wet ingredients in the internal bread machine container.
4. Pour dry ingredients on top of that. (Do not mix.)
5. Make an indention in the top of the dry ingredients large enough to hold the dry yeast. (This is important.)
6. Place dry yeast in the indention.
7. Set bread machine to the #1 setting (for ordinary bread).
8. Set machine for 2 pound loaf.
9. Set crust to medium.
10. Make sure timer is set for 3 hours.
11. Plug the machine in and press the start button.
Three hours later you’ll have a nice loaf of bread that is easily kept in a large, one gallon freezer bag. Highly recommend cutting slices only as needed. Keeps longer that way.